Everyone is back from vacation and school has started again. The new class of freshmen is finding their place and the rest of us are getting back into studying routines. With all of this, I am excited for what lies ahead. But I am also excited about what is going on right now. Like, the art projects that are coming together more and more:
- The painting of tomato plants is (mostly) done. I might add some small touch-ups, but that would be it. It was an experiment that turned out differently than expected, but that’s ok!
- I had two shipping box units that were sitting around unused, so I made a simple, small kitchen shelf out of them. The paint job will be similar to the palette shelf. I will add 1-2 layers of light blue on top of the brown and dark blue. So it won’t be as patchy as it is now ;)
- I met another artist on Tuedsay! She is from the area and does sculptures. I was excited to meet her and talk to her. Turns out she’s the mother-in-law of a friend of ours. Who knew!
There are also some creative people among the freshmen class. We’ll see what ideas and possibilities come from that :)
While writing this post, the rain is pressing in on the paths and houses. Grey light, cold, strong winds, and brown leaves dominate the landscape. But I won’t be depressed about it. After all, we are watching “Singing in the Rain” tonight. One of my favorite movies, fitting for a day like this.
I was at the Hardware Store and got the shelf boards for the kitchen shelf. Every board had to be cut to size, since the palette wood is crooked. But with all the dents, crooked parts and left over nail holes, I am really happy about how it turned out. The shelf has character, and when the varnish is on, it will be ready for use! :)
My exams are going well, with a couple more to go. But in the mean time, I am also getting some work done in the art department. (Not without studying for school, but you know what I mean)
The basic shape of my papermaché rhino mask is done. Now it needs some wrinkles and other details, as well as a bit more stability. Then it can be painted. :)
I got a hold of a palette and decided to make a shelf out of it. It’s not very high quality wood, but it can hold lots of weight and it’s what I’ve got. So I figured out a basic design and have been cutting it into usable pieces. The next step will be to get rid of all the nails and to sand down all the surfaces. Then, it can be assembled!
And another thing is progressing: Every time I look out the window or go to the student gardens, I see my plants growing more and more. It’s encouraging to know that you can create a good environment, but that your plants do the rest for you. You can’t control everything, nor do you have to. You just get to watch the progress :)
I haven’t been updating the website this week because I have been very busy but also had/still have a sore throat. But today I was at art school all day and got a lot done. Here’s what happened:
- I went to the printing company to get my portfolio printed. It’s looking good :)
- Spend the rest of the afternoon (with exception of a quick trip to the hardware store) in the wood workshop. I am building a little shelf that is acessible from all four sides. It’s going to be on wheels so that you can turn it like a postcard stand. Most of the wood is reclaimed so the project is quite cheap. And it’s simply fun to build because I got to use the table saw for the first time! :)
- Listened in on a presentation of our professor for photography. He was talking about photographing performances and what that meant to him. He is a really good photographer!
- Finished all the woodwork on my new worktable/desk. All that is left to do is to cover it with epoxy (also known as “liquid glass”. My new best friend :) )
- Witnessed a huge rollerskating-marathon drive by our academy. It stopped traffic for almost 15minutes!
- Had a fun conversation with one of my classmates. I now know that she likes shopping at Goodwill Stores and loves cowboy boots. She’s a fun person :)
Total time at the academy: about 11hours, from 10.30AM to 9.30PM. I’d call that a day!
It seems to be test week, so today I did another test. I had been working on a table and today I put the pieces all together for the first time. At first the legs didn’t line up, but then it all fit together. So cool :D
I made the table top out of reclaimed wood and the legs out of metal. To finish it off the wood will get a coat of epoxy (“liquid glass”) and the legs will get a layer of clear varnish. I don’t get to do this kind of stuff too often (welding, woodworking,…) so this was a good project. It’s design is practical and has style at the same time, best of both worlds!