I started sketching for my story “Chasing Chickens”, getting some ideas in for the main characters.
The chickens are loose! But why, what do they want, and how do you get them back to the farm? After chasing the chickens all over town, it turns out they’re on strike! When the farmer promises better treats, they come to reason. Thank goodness! All is well now, but whether mom will believe what happened, is another story…
These are the main characters:
- “the mayor” is a big guy, fat and has cheery eyes
- “the farmer” is modeled after the painter Van Gogh, but softened up a little. A bit nervous, awkward, well-meaning
- “Dan” (the narrator’s best friend), about 6-7 years old. A white kid, slightly self-important, curious
- “Gabe” (the narrator), about 5-6 years old. A black kid, fit, curious, looks up to Dan
- “the Chickens”. mischievous, smart, demanding